This is News Category.

Subcategories from this category: COVID-19

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Click Here for the 2022 Water Quality Report that was recently mailed to City of Belvidere residents.

Posted by on in News

Irene Road (between Newburg and U-S 20) is closed and under construction. Irene Road is estimated to reopen in September. 


Posted by on in News


While door to door solicitation is legal, residents should be wary and keep the following in mind:

  • Any person engaging in sales or solicitation door to door must obtain a permit from the City.  If anyone attempts to sell a product or service to you (e.g. a new electric supplier) without a permit you should ask them to leave and call the police on their non-emergency number 815-544-2135.
  • If you do not wish to receive any door to door salespersons, you can place a “No Trespassing” sign in a conspicuous location on your property.  If anyone attempts sales, ignoring the sign, you should ask them to leave and call the police on their non-emergency number 815-544-2135.  Further, you are not required to answer a door.  If you do not recognize an individual at your door it is often best not to answer the door.
  • If anyone on your property makes you uncomfortable you should ask them to leave.  If they do not immediately leave you should call the police.  Do not confront them on your own.
  • You should NEVER share any personal information with any door to door solicitor until you have verified their authenticity and elected to purchase their goods or services.  This includes, but is not limited to, copies of existing utility bills, bank account information and credit card information.  The City of Belvidere does not partner with any commercial organization and never authorizes any door to door salesperson to demand or request personal information.
  • The City of Belvidere recommends that you refrain from making any agreement or signing any document with a door to door salesperson.  If you are interested in their product or service, the City recommends that you simply ask for information and a phone number that you can call if you are interested.
  • Never invite a door to door sales person into your home.




Posted by on in News

Monday, April 3rd construction will begin on the Townhall Road Bridge over the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90). Work will take approximately 1 month.

Click Here to View Detour

Posted by on in News

 The Cross-Connection Control Survey is required by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, and the following survey must be completed. This survey will help us prevent accidental contamination of our drinking water system. The purpose of this survey is to determine whether a cross-connection may exist at your home or business.

The City is required to get 100% participation. 

Click Here for Survey

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News


Electric Aggregation Program Information and FAQs

Following a competitive bid process, the City of Belvidere is moving its electric aggregation program to MC Squared Energy Services. Residents and small business owners will continue to pay exactly the ComEd rate. The program term is for three years ending October 2024.

Background: The cost of serving each electric account varies based on usage patterns. Some ratepayer accounts will remain with ComEd supply service and others will be served by MC Squared, but the net effect is identical for all. Just as in previous programs, ratepayers may choose to opt out.

All will pay exactly the same ComEd rate, including ComEd’s monthly variable PEA component.  

Notices will be mailed to residents and small businesses on August 17, 2021. The letters vary, depending on your account status. Please read your notice carefully. No action need be taken unless you choose to be served differently:


  1. Electric Aggregation Notice: This is an opt out notice, meaning the ratepayer will be enrolled with MC Squared Energy Services unless they take action to opt out.
  1. Electric Aggregation Opt-In Notice: Ratepayer is enrolled with another supplier, and will remain so unless they take action to enroll with MC2. Per Illinois regulation, there’s never an early termination fee to switch from any supplier.
  1. Informational Content Only Notice: Ratepayer will remain with the individual contract they have already selected (hourly, net metering, or other supplier) unless they take action to enroll with MC2.
  1. Informational Content Only: Return to ComEd Notice: (this is a very small group) Ratepayer is currently enrolled with supplier MC Squared Energy Services but will be moved back to ComEd. You need do nothing; are still considered a part of the program. In September you can expect to receive a second letter from ComEd confirming your drop.

Whether remaining with ComEd or enrolling with MC Squared Energy Services, all residents are considered members of the City of Belvidere Aggregation program.

Program Benefits:

  • Guaranteed at the ComEd rate, with no risk of ever paying more than the ComEd rate
  • No additional monthly fee, no early termination fee
  • Maximum flexibility to join or leave the program, and never an enrollment or switch fee
  • Provides the City with an annual civic contribution at zero added cost to ratepayers or the City


No one from MC Squared Energy Services, ComEd, or the City of Belvidere will ever visit your home or call you to enroll. If a solicitor claims to be either the Village supplier, MC Squared Energy Services, or ComEd, please take their information and report the incident to the ICC at Never reveal your ComEd account number or allow a solicitor to view your ComEd bill unless you are certain you wish to enroll with that supplier and have read all terms and conditions.

Electric Aggregation Program FAQs


  1. How can I enroll? During the initial three-week opt out period you need do nothing if you received an opt out notice. You will be automatically enrolled unless you take action to opt out. If you received a different notice, “Return to ComEd” or “Informational Only,” you still need do nothing. Read the detail in the notice mailed directly to your ComEd billing address.
  1. I’m located within the City of Belvidere, have switched to another supplier, but would like to join. May I? Yes, Call or email MC Squared Energy Services at 877-691-0210 Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm,or and provide your ComEd account number. Effective 1/1/2020, no supplier may charge a termination fee to switch.
  1. What is the current ComEd rate? The annualized base ComEd rate is 7.127¢ per kWh plus a monthly variable Purchased Electricity Adjustment (PEA), which can be up to +/- 0.5¢. For more information about the ComEd rate, visit


  1. Why are some accounts at ComEd and some at MC Squared Energy Services? First, there is no difference to you: the price is exactly the same. Suppliers analyze every meter: depending on complex usage patterns, certain accounts are selected to remain at ComEd and others switch to MC Squared Energy Services. All pay the exact same rate.


  1. Why is this an “opt out” program; why not an “opt In” program? In 2009, Governor Quinn signed into law the ability for municipalities to enter into an opt out aggregation program. Communities could negotiate on behalf of individual residents. Voters in the City of Belvidere have since passed a referendum enabling the program.


  1. Will I get two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier? ComEd continues to bill for electric supply, delivery and taxes. ComEd delivers electricity and will continue to bill you, but no longer supplies it.
  1. If I’m automatically enrolled, can I leave the program? Yes, and you’ll never be charged a termination fee.
  1. I’m enrolled in a low-income assistance program. Will I still receive those benefits? If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, your status will not be affected.
  1. Does the program impact my ComEd budget billing or auto-payment plan? The way you pay your ComEd bill does not change.
  1. What happens if I move? If you remain within City of Belvidere limits, call MC Squared Energy Services to re-enroll at your new address. Residents moving into the community may participate by calling 877-691-0210.


  1. Is Renewable Energy included in the program? Your supply is offset with 19% Renewable Energy Credits (RECs), minimum as required by Illinois Renewable Portfolio Standard law, a charge that is incorporated into the delivery charge portion of your ComEd bill.
  1. I have more questions: For additional or specific questions about your own electric account, do not call the Belvidere Town Hall. Call Belvidere’s aggregation program supplier, MC Squared Energy Services, at 877-691-0210. If you have further complicated issues, please contact the City’s aggregation consultant NIMEC at 800-727-3820. You must leave your name and callback number and someone will reach out to you shortly.

The Illinois Commerce Commission provides additional information about energy deregulation in Illinois and energy supply choices at To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, always call ComEd at 800-334-7661.


Posted by on in News


Some door to door solicitors of electrical energy may have made fraudulent claims that the City has authorized them to view existing energy contracts. This is not true. We suggest that you do not share any existing documents, contracts or bills with unknown door to door salespersons. This information alone may allow them to switch your electrical provider, even without your permission.

We would like to remind residents about tips for solicitors that come to your home: -Ask for identification -Verify the individual and company -Inquire if they've obtained a permit from the city to solicit -Read any contract or agreement carefully -Don't be pressured -Listen carefully -Know your rights. The Federal Trade Commission's Three Day Cooling-Off Rule gives the consumer 3 days to cancel purchases over $25.00 that are made in their home or at a location that is not the seller's permanent place of business. -If you aren't interested in speaking with a solicitor, tell them so and ask them to leave.

In the event you should encounter an unscrupulous solicitor, try to obtain a physical description of the person(s)and report that information to the Belvidere Police Department (815)544-2135.


Posted by on in News

Posted by on in News

Welcome to the New ePAY!

Effective February 1, 2019, the City of Belvidere converts to the new and improved ePay system for your water bill payment needs. Our goal is to make the conversion to the new system as seamless as possible on our ability to take payments. The new ePAY offers contemporary payment solutions such as accepting credit cards at the counter here at City Hall or use recurring bill pay when paying online. The ePAY website will look a little different but you should find it extremely user friendly. Please let us know if you have any problems! We hope this upgrade better serves the citizens of Belvidere!

Hits: 10243

Posted by on in News

In order to help the general public understand how we handle each snow storm, our salting and plowing policy is written below. Keep in mind that the snow removal ordinance prohibits parking on any public street, alley or parking lot whenever two inches or more of snow accumulates. By using this system, we can generally have the entire city plowed curb to curb, including alleys and parking lots within 8-10 hours following the end of the storm.

1" or less of Accumulation: Salting Only. As soon as roads become slick, we will begin salting of all arterial and collector streets and just intersections on residential streets.

If the storm begins after regular Street Department working hours, the Police Department Shift Supervisor can authorize the dispatcher to call in one (1) or two (2) Street Department employees to begin salting operations. If additional manpower is needed, the Street Superintendent will be contacted by one of the employees on duty.

1" to 2" Accumulation: Salting operations stop after 1" accumulation. We will begin plowing arterials, collectors, and residential streets, if conditions warrant, when the storm ends. If there are cars parked on the street, plows will go around them.

More than 2" Accumulation: After 2" have accumulated, only the driving lanes on arterials, collector and residential streets will be plowed. Primary emphasis will be on high traffic streets, therefore not all residential streets may be plowed at this time. Driving lanes will be re-plowed at each additional 3" of accumulation until the storm ends.

In the municipal parking lots and in the street scape parking areas, we will attempt to clear all snowfall prior to 7:00 am. Vehicles parked in these areas Monday - Saturday between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm will not be ticketed or towed. After 7:00 pm, they will be subject to towing and tickets.

When the storm ends, all streets, alleys, and parking lots will be plowed curb to curb subject to the above policies and any vehicles parked on the roadway will be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense.

The End of Your Driveway

The City’s crews use side discharge plows. As the plows move forward, snow moves along the blade from the left to the right. The discharge from the blade is deposited along the curb or in the grass boulevard on the city right of way. This discharge, officially known as a “windrow”, ends up leaving snow in driveway approaches along the route. While we understand the aggravation this can cause, this natural result of plowing is unavoidable.

Your Mailbox

The goal of the Street Department is to clear the streets for travel. No matter how hard we try, it is not possible to provide perfect conditions for your mail carrier. Final clearing adjacent to mailboxes is the responsibility of each resident. 

The Postal Service asks customers to clear snow and ice from sidewalks, stairs and mailboxes, to help letter carriers deliver the mail.  This will help your carrier efficiently deliver your mail.  If your carrier is not able to safely deliver the mail to your mailbox, delivery may be suspended.

Posted by on in News

City of Belvidere passed a Local Motor Fuel Tax as of July 16th, 2018


Frequently Asked Questions

Local Motor Fuel Tax

What is the Local Motor Fuel Tax?

As a home rule municipality, the City of Belvidere can adopt local option taxes. The Local Motor Fuel Tax (LMFT) is levied upon the purchase of motor fuel sold at retail within the corporate limits of the City.


What is the Tax Rate?

The tax rate is set at two cents ($0.02) per gallon on gas and diesel fuel.

20 Gallons of fuel per week - $21.00 per year

25 Gallons of fuel per week - $26.00 per year

30 Gallons of fuel per week - $31.00 per year

When does the Tax go into effect?

The LMFT will go into effect on September 1, 2018.


How will the City use the LMFT Revenue?

The tax is estimated to generate $200,000-$300,000 annually in new revenue that will be used for road improvements throughout the city. It will also help pay for the rising cost of police and fire pensions.

What is the Process for collecting and remitting taxes collected?

Retailers must first complete a registration form that was mailed out in July and is also on the City website. The registration form should be completed and submitted to the City no later than August 17, 2018.  Retailers must remit each month’s tax collections along with a remittance form. The remittance form and taxes collected to the City of Belvidere must be submitted no later than the 20th of the month following the month of collection. In other words, taxes paid by customers in September of 2018 must be remitted to the City by October 20, 2018.

Who can I contact with additional questions?

You may call the Finance Department at 815-544-2612 with questions about the tax rate, remittance deadlines, etc. Additionally, any forms required can be found on the City website at


Local Motor Fuel Tax Ordinace CLICK HERE

Local Motor Fuel Tax Application for Registration

Local Motor Fuel Tax Return Form

Local Motor Fuel Tax Return for Multiple Locations Form

Posted by on in News


Sewer Backups

Connection of storm water sump pumps to the City's sanitary sewer system is prohibited. Such connections quickly overload the system in severe rain events and may cause sewers to back up. Residents may receive notice to schedule an appointment for an inspection. Please respond within the time specified to assist the Department with preventing future sanitary sewer backups. If you have questions or concerns, please call 815-544-9256.

Storm Water Survey

Are you interested in or concerned about stormwater quality and run-off in your area? If so, please click here to fill out this survey. Thank you.